Total Noob --- Hayward sp2607x102s dual speed pump for Above Ground 24' round pool

Wednesday, I think I’m going to get into the pool to try to manually get what left we have of leaves…we dished out A LOT but without see anything, not sure if we got most or not even a dent…filled like 3-5 gallon buckets to rim of WET leaves…I feel like by getting all this #$@# out of the pool, it will make the process easier to get where we need to get, right? What is a safe level of chlorine to get into the pool without my eyes falling out?

It sounds like you are on the right track! Keep plugging away at it!

A leaf eater or something along those lines would be helpful to get out the gunk on the bottom of the pool. You can also just keep at it with the leaf net as well. Removing as much as you can will help the process move quicker - it’s going to have to come out eventually.

Maybe the filter is just getting clogged up - that is pretty normal with water that is not clear. You may need to backwash it frequently while you are going through this.

It is safe to enter the pool at the shock level of chlorine - if you dare!

How does the pool look? I’m hoping there is a visible difference in it.

We finally got the chlorine to stay at ‘shock’ level so…im hoping some forward progress will be made in the next couple days.

A lot of backwashing needs to be done we found out!!! Backwashing was the key to fix the airflow out of the jet into the pool…Both high and lo pump out the water nice after a good backwash, but PSI increases after a couple hours, so on the weekend, we were about to backwash as needed…now that we’re both at work, that’s a little trickier…

wish us luck…will post a pic this afternoon.

Trying to make it nice…but one day of leaves there…

Thoughts on vacuum to waste to help get rid of the mess at the bottom?

I hesitate to vacuum to waste - you can lose a lot of water pretty quickly. If you feel it would help and your water/sewer rates are reasonable, go for it, but you could accomplish the same thing by vacuuming, backwashing, and repeating. But that is a lot of leaves for one day.

I agree…so…I jumped in…and got a lot of debris out manually…about a dozen rocks, some twigs…and some leaves…now it just feels like a bunch of nasty like sand particles …I’m going to invest in like a pool blaster…

Good news…found BOTH MISSING coping caps!!!

Ordered a manual battery operated vacuum.

Bought some instant conditioner plus ( decreases phosphate)…wife got the water tested , and this was recommended…

Look at our test results…can the chlorine drop that much so quick!!!

It was just 16?!?!!? Is it possible to drop this quick?!?!

It will drop as long as it has something to attack. Keep at it!

Poured some algaecide in there tonight…

manual battery operated vacuum comes FRIDAY!!! Will get the other #$@# on the floor of the pool…getting there…

Pool went overnight without needing a backwash…levels look good…just need to get the debris the f out…vacuum is coming Friday…will try manual old school vacuum again after school! we’re getting there!!!

Keep at it - you are doing great! Post a picture or 2 if you can so we can see your progress!

You got it!!! Take some this afternoon after I vacuum…

Pool and test results…Wife said she could see the bottom when she got home, and there was the obvious debris…she got some…I went in with the manual vacuum…I dont know why or how anyone uses this old method…still waiting for my battery operated one from Walmart…coming Friday…I got a bunch of debris using a rake net…still quite of bit of fine particles…leaves are to a minimal…I ran around the pool for a few minutes to hopefully that could do some stuff for it…I think once we get that vacuum, get the floor cleaned up, a few days of running 24/7…we’ll start to see the light at the end of the tunnel…any advice as we turn the corner!!!

Our liner color is VERY FADED, so we won’t ever have that stereotypical clear blue water, but we’re getting close to CLEAR !!! I can almost see the quarter!!!

That’s great to hear! Keep it up and thank you for posting the picture! Keep that chlorine at 10 or better as much as possible. You’ll probably have to keep it there for at least a couple of days after it looks good to be sure to get anything that might be hiding in a little nook or cranny somewhere.

10ppm for Free Chlorine, Total Chlorine, or Combined chlorine?!?!

Preferably “Free” chlorine. Don’t be afraid to go a little higher.

Sounds like you have had bad luck with pool guys in your area. Me too. There is only one way to de-mystify a pool and get the job right without cutting corners in a way that reflects you caring about the pool’s future: do it yourself. This had everything I needed, and everything you need: