STA-RITE Max-E-Therm Heater Manifold Issue

I have had the heater manifold replaced after it ‘blew’ and cracked. Then it happened again with the new replacement. The kit 77707-0120 seems pretty complete, but even with the 2nd manifold, shortly after the heater fires up, there is a noisy bang and then the plastic cracks and water goes everywhere. Not sure why this is happening.
Anyone have any thoughts on what is going on?

Wow, I’m sorry to hear about that. I would recommend opening the heater up and inspecting all of the components - especially the burners. Maybe there is a leak and gas or propane is accumulating in it? Does the water flow through the heater when it is off?

I have looked at most of the components, but I can do again (especially the burners). It’s odd (to me) that it makes a loud noise and then the manifold cracks. When the heater is off, it ‘appears’ that the water has to go thru the heater, but not 100% sure.

The only other thing I can think of is that the heater is generating excessive pressure when it heats the water and breaks the manifold from the pressure. I would also check the thermal regulator and the manifold bypass valve to be sure they aren’t stuck and not releasing heated water into the pool. Be sure any valves, automated or manual, are open to allow the heated water into the pool.

Depending upon your specific model, this may be the parts diagram for the plumbing.

1 Like

I appreciate your thoughts and comments. I will check those items.