Replace Run Capacitor or Motor 7-193990-07 SHPF1.5-2

Ive got a Century 2-speed motor 7-193990-07 on my Jandy Stealth SHPF 1.5-2.

My run capacitor fails about every 6-8 months. Wondering if I need to replace my motor or just the run capacitor?

What is the appropriate run capacitor replacement?
What is an appropriate motor replacement/upgrade?

Hi Brian, there are a number of reasons your capacitor is failing prematurely, but it’s probably the fact that you just have an old motor . Maybe, for whatever reason, the windings or the bearings are going bad and it’s running hot. If this is the cause of your capacitor failures, then it is best to replace the whole motor. (As for the capacitors, we are out of stock on your Run Capacitor 25/10 MFD 370VAC but the Start Capacitor 189-227 MFD (BC-189) is in stock.

You can replace it with an identical Dual Speed Full Rate Motor - B983 or you can get a variable-speed EVQ225. Note that the total horsepower of your original motor is actually 2.2; check out our article on Are All Motors Created Equal? for an explanation. Note that our friends in California would need to get the variable-speed motor since Title 20 prohibits the sale of single- or dual-speed pool pump motors in that state.

If you replace the motor, be sure to get a new seal kit for your Jandy SHPF Pump for a leak-free installation.