replace pool pump

Our Pentaire pump 340038 decided to quit (after only 2 full seasons)  within our hottest week of the year.  I would like a pump motor for this pump system. I think from looking around I need a B848 or B2848.  Is this correct?  Also,  is there a better pump or more effecient one that would fit exactly?  We are not close to much for a fast fix so my husband will have to do the work so if it is not an exact fit we will be out of luck for the coming heat wave…thanks

Hi Vickie,

I’m sorry to hear about your motor. If you have the Pentair 340038 Super Flo Pump then you would actually need this B2853 1 HP Up Rated Replacement Motor we would also suggest this Pentair Super Flo Shaft Seal when replacing your motor. You could go to a more efficient Variable Speed Motor or Dual Speed Motor but we would need to know if you are wiring your pump 115V or 230V as this will effect which Dual Speed or Variable speed motor you get. For the single speed B2853 motor this motor can be wired either 115V or 230V so we don’t need to know your wiring information if you go with the single speed motor. If you go with the variable speed or dual speed motor then most likely you will need to replace your impeller as well.

Here is a good Article on How you Save Money with Dual Speed or Variable Speed Motor.

Thank You

Patrick

www.inyopools.com

1 Like

115 volt

Hi Vickie,

For 115V then only the dual speed and single speed options are available for you as the variable speed motors are only available in 230V. If you wanted to go with the dual speed motor then you would need this B2981T Digital Dual Speed 115V Replacement Motor This motor is a 3/4 HP Full Rated Motor which is identical to a 1 HP Up Rated motor that you currently have, this is because the Full Rated Motor has a higher service factor (SF) giving the motor the same True HP (THP) as a 1 HP Up Rated Motor. Below I have run the math on this which explains this easier…

3/4 HP Full Rate x Service Factor 1.67 = 1.25 True HP

1 HP Up Rate x Service Factor 1.25 = 1.25 True HP

You will really see quite an operational cost savings if you go the dual speed route, probably in the neighborhood of 40% savings on your electrical costs tied to your pool pump motor.

Thank You

Patrick