Reasonable cost for fixing sand leaking into pool

I have a Hayward S-240: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZVJ73BW97xh94LdG2

I’ve owned the house for about a year. I finally realized that a lot of the “dirt” in the pool is actually brown sand. The company I have used for work previously is booked for at least 2 to 3 weeks. There is another company with a good reputation, but I think they are also typically a little on high side for pricing. They estimated $400 to $600 to replace laterals and sand. I was told the sand was “almost new” when I bought the house. They said it was a 2 man job with a labor rate of $175 per hour (combined for both). I think I likely have the skill to do this myself, but I’m short on time. I also have the fear of getting started, something going wrong, and I’m missing the correct parts. Any thoughts?

Hello Matthew - That price seems a little high for replacing the lateral assembly and sand. Check out our guide titled “How to Replace a Lateral in a Pool Sand Filter”.

1 Like

Thank you. I agree. I saw your guide as well. I’m going to wait for an estimate from my original company. It is not a ton of sand, so I don’t think it is urgent. If they have a more reasonable price, I will probably wait for them to have avaialbility. If not, I may do it myself. If I do it myslef, what parts would you reccomend I have on hand to minimize downtime?

• Sand
  • Laterals
  • Hub?
  • Gaskets or o-rings?
  • Anything else?

I haven’t found a vide for my specific filter, so I’m not 100% clear on what all I will have to remove to get to the lateral assembly.

Besides the parts you listed, You may need the diffuser and internal elbows. If those parts were cracked, it would allow sand to flow back to the pool. You can view all of the items on the Hayward S-240 Parts Page.

1 Like

My exact filter model is a S244S. The best price I can find (from a reputable company) on sand and laterals is $526.32. It is the labor for the sand that is killing me on the quotes. I’m tempted to do it myself, but questioning the intelligence of that.  Given that my filter only opens up at the top, it seems like it would be difficult to get the sand out. Most of it would be using a shop vac. This seems to be the best diagram and part list: 
https://www.inyopools.com/pool_parts_hayward_pro_series_side_mount_sand_filters.aspx
I honestly don’t even see how you get to all the parts to clean it out. I haven’t seen any video or instructions for this model. I’m pretty handy, and I have a low budget for this. I just worry about not having the correct gasket, pipe, O-ring, etc. Any thoughts? I could order everything possibly needed and return what isn’t needed, but I don’t really like doing that to companies.

We don’t mind taking unused parts back and we do not charge a restocking fee. The only thing you’d be responsible for is the shipping back.

1 Like

Give that this is a side mount filter, I’m still a little short on insturctions. I assume I remove the entire lower elbow. Do I remove the upper elbow too? Does the lower assembly come out the top once the fittings are unscrewed from the outside? Also, I can’t find a serial number. Is there any other way to tell if it is a pre or post 1995 model? Thank again. You guys are awesome.

I think I’ve found enough information (maybe) on how to get the sand out. I will remove the upper elbow if I have to. I’m still struggling on figuring out if it is a pre or post 1995 model. https://goo.gl/photos/i894iF8pJBBptNrY8 Waiting for Hayward to get back to me on this. Anyone have any idea on how to tell?

Unfortunately, I am not sure what determines a pre or post 1995 model. Hayward should be able to tell you based on the serial number.

That is my issue. I can’t find a serial number. I guess I could order all parts and return what wasn’t needed.

You could do that or wait to hear back from Hayward. It may take a day or two. This is the busiest two weeks of the year.

Thanks. Hayward said they coudln’t tell. A few broken parts replaced, and all is well. I now know I have a pre 1995 Hayward sand filter and correct parts for it are hard to find. The lower elbow I bought did not fit properly, but I was able to reuse the old one.

1 Like