Pump Motor Tripping GFCI Breaker

Pump runs for about 2hrs then trips breaker. Pump has only been used 1 season and is running smooth. No noise no issues, other than seems to get hot and trip breaker. I tested all voltages from breaker panel, to switch timer, to directly on the leads of the pump. All within tolerance ~ 245 V. Current from panel 7.5 amps. The unidentified problem, however was the breaker. The GFCI breaker apparently was faulty and was tripping after 2 hrs. Replacing the breaker with an identical GFCI breaker fixed the problem. I post this as there was nothing anywhere that addressed a faulty breaker, that otherwise was operating to spec. One that is putting out the correct voltage and current but trips anyway.

Thank you for posting that - and I’m glad to hear that you figured out what the issue was. Bad breakers are unusual but certainly not unheard of, but the GFCI breakers can get a little flakey as they age.

The motors can get very hot to the touch, but they are designed to handle it as long as it is within specifications.

Enjoy your backyard oasis!