Pool system design

Having owned many dozens of pools over the years as a real estate investor, I never gave much thought to the importance of proper technical design of pump, filter, pipes etc.

However I am doing a project on Ibiza, Spain now and knowledge of pool equipment is sadly quite terrible. There are simple formulae for determining everything associated with the mechanics of a pool. I have only been subscribed to Inyo Pools website for a short time, but i have not seen your calculations for determining all elements of a system.

If I assume an existing pool and piping, what formulae do you recommend to determine a proper filter sizing and pump sizing.  Pipe diameter, lengths and bends affect flow rate. Filter size affects amount of water than can be filtered per unit of time. Pump type, horsepower, etc determine the amount of water than can be pumped through a fixed size set of pipes, and how long the pump needs to run to filter a pool properly. A major point of interest is the potential use of a variable speed pump, in all of its variations.

Too many times here I see “professional” pool people recommending pumps that can pump much more water than the pipes can handle, or a filter not sized to match the rest of the equipment and pool size. Pumps burn out, electric bills are outrageous, pools aren´t kept clean, and on and on. The solution is often based on ignorance - get a bigger pump, a bigger or better filter, or two filters, etc.

Clear this up for everyone please, me especially, so that I can recommend intelligently.    Thanks, gary

Hi Gary,

We have done several videos on these exact topics you discuss and I think these would be a good starting point. If after watching these you still have questions then please let me know and I will definitely explain further.

Thank You

Patrick

www.inyopools.com