Pool Light mount type

I want to replace my incandescent halogen dual lead dual halogen bulb 10 inch pool light fixture. It uses a 12vac transformer but if it has to be changed so be it. I understand that LED is the way to go but I’m leaning to the old screw on bulb type to make it easier to replace then to pull the entire fixture and cable to do so. Any info & opinions would really be helpful in making a decision.

There are a LOT of different pool lights and light niches that have been made over the years. Are there any part numbers on anything? You will want to be certain that the new replacement pool light will fit into your existing pool light niche.

Our guide on How to Select Inground Pool Lights has a few other things to watch out for like cord length. Post some pictures or part numbers so we are sure to recommend something that will fit.

Marginally related issue here. A neighbor’s color-changing light has gone out - they’re not really DIYers, and I mentioned I’ve replaced a few.

I can’t seem to identify which light it actually is. Trim ring says ‘Hayward’, so that’s a start. Trim ring came off easy enough, but I can’t figure out how to get the light out. The frame and lens are all one part - no separate lens. No screws either. I tried prying - carefully - and looked for release tabs or something, no luck. Pool is 6-7 years old, if that helps.

• How do you remove this light? There’s gotta be a trick to it.
  • If it’s a Hayward, which model? I can’t find pictures of the frame/lens part of any Haywards.

You’re a GREAT neighbor!

Most of the LED-style Hayward lights (like the ColorLogic lights) have no serviceable parts inside. Each light has an integrated LED board that is responsible for emitting light. Unlike traditional lights, once the light goes out, pool owners are forced to replace the entire light fixture. The LEDs can last just about forever, but the components on the driver board don’t.

Your neighbor may be stuck replacing the entire fixture. If there is only 1 light and if it is not controlled by anything fancy then send them back in time to an incandescent light fixture and get a color-changing LED bulb. These will be serviceable (as far as just replacing the bulb) for the life of the pool.

Thanks for the information! I don’t think they’ll want to drop $1K (again). Once I get it out, I’ll take a look at the board first, but likely will suggest a conventional fixture and LED bulb.
Thanks!

Thanks again for the help!
Finally got the fixture out - just took a bit more twist than I could get bare-handed. The fixture is about one-third full of water - pretty sure that’s why it failed! The niche is shallow, with no conventional screw-mounting points. I think it’ll require replacing with a similar unit. Is it just splicing the new unit onto the old cable? I use marine-grade heatshrink for all my electrical repairs, so this is a simple fix for me.
Thanks again for the information - you guys are great!