Pentair SF-N1-1A 340038 Replace Noisy Motor

Hi,

I have a Pentair pool pump SF-N1-1A/340038. The motor has become quite noisy the last month or so and I would like to look into replacing it. I was curious if there was a compatible dual speed motor I could purchase to install. I understand there is a toggle or some other device to change the speed, but I don’t know what to look for. I tried searching the forums for an existing post but couldn’t find anything that addressed this specific question.

I can only upload one image, but the model number on the existing motor is 196238

Thanks!

The most appropriate 2-speed motor for your pump would be the Century (A.O. Smith) 1.0 HP Full Rate Motor, Square Flange 56Y Frame, Dual Speed - Model B2982, but a better option might be the Century (A.O. Smith) V-Green EVO 1.30 HP Up Rate VS Motor, Square Flange 48Y Frame, Variable Speed - Model EVQ130. It has its own built-in operating schedule and, depending upon what schedule you choose, it can pay for itself fairly quickly.

Be sure to get a Tune-Up Kit so you can replace the seals for a leak-free installation.

Note that you will need 220 volts at your equipment pad for the 2-speed motors to operate. The variable-speed motor mentioned above can operate on 110 volts.

Thank you for the help! I’ll look over the options. I didn’t realize the variable with the 48Y frame would work.

Two questions, I assume with the dual speed I would need to add the “Toggle Switch and Canopy Kit for 56Y 2-Speed - 2512558-001” to toggle my two separate 110 feeds to the motor? Also, we can get to 100F temps fairly regularly where I live, does that impact the reliability/longevity of the variable motor control panel?

Yes, you would need to add something to the 2-speed motor to switch between the speeds - the 2512558-001 will work manually or you can add a timer for automatic switching.

There are no worries on the life or reliability of the motor controls since they are designed to operate outdoors in any conditions that Mother Nature can throw at them. Regular atmospheric heat (or sitting in the sun) shouldn’t hurt it at all.

Thanks, after looking at all of the parts and kits I should have mentioned that this is a saltwater pool. Should I go with the Saltwater Seal Kit as well?

Yes, the saltwater tune-up kits for your Superflo pump are constructed of better materials to hold up better in a saltwater pool setup so we would recommend getting it.

I forgot to mention - the smaller 48-frame motors all have a rubber shim included with them to make up for the difference in width over the 56-frame OEM motor (the difference and the shim thickness is about 1/2" ). Just peel off the sticky tape on the shim and attach it to the motor support and you will be good to go!

Appreciate all the help, currently my cart has

[ Century (A.O. Smith) V-Green EVO 1.30 HP Up Rate VS Motor, Square Flange 48Y Frame, Variable Speed - Model EVQ130 ] - 1

[ Pentair SuperFlo, Sta-Rite SuperMax Saltwater Seal Kit - Model GOKIT78SALT ] - 1

Is there any other accessory or replacement pieces you would suggest I add to complete the swap?

That looks perfect to me! You should not need anything else - even some lubricant is included in the Tune-Up Kit for the o-rings.