Motor revs up and down

I have a 1hp Haward motor with 3/4 hp pump recently installed on my pool. The motor revs up and down. Won’t idle steadily

Hello BryanO - It may be a bad centrifugal switch (not every motor has one). The centrifugal switch enables the start capacitor to give the motor extra torque. When the motor is up to speed it takes the start capacitor out of circuit. Take the motor end cap off and see if the switch will manually operate.

If you don’t see one of these at the back of the motor, let us know the make and model of the motor and we’ll continue to troubleshoot.

ao msith pump motor centrifugal switch

It does have one. How can I manually operate it? I started the motor with the end cap off momentarily to see it function. It moves up and down every time it revs up and down.

What goes bad on it? Is it the springs?

To test it, you can press the center inwards. It should spring right back out. You have an issue if it does not. The springs are usually what go bad. They lose tension or break.

Does it spring outward when the motor is up to speed? It seems to run fine when it is sprung outward but starts reving whenever it moves all the way inward

The switch is sprung outward to begin and then moves inward when it’s up to speed. It sounds like the switch is doing its job but maybe the capacitor is bad. What is the catalog or part number of the motor?

Could you post a video showing the motor turning on and then reving? A shot of the switch moving in and out would be helpful.

Hello BryanO - Any luck figuring out the model of your motor?