Hayward pump motor SPX2710Z2M replacement need help

I have a hayward SPX2710Z2M. Do i need to replace it with another hayward or can i try a ao smith? They keep popping up when i search for the pump motor.

Yes, you can use a Century (A.O. Smith) motor to replace the Hayward SPX2710Z2M. The replacement motor is part number SQS1102R. The replacement motor is a full rated 1HP 2-speed, but it has the same total HP rating as your uprated 1.5HP. The total HP rating is 1.65.

We also recommend replacing the shaft seal when you replace the motor. The shaft seal is part number 5250-210. It’s a heavy-duty shaft seal, designed to hold up in saltwater pools, but it will work for standard chlorine pools.

Here is a video that may help you with the installation. It’s not specifically for the Hayward Max-Flo II but the steps are very similar.

Hi Sherman. You may notice that, if the sticker on the motor is still legible, the motor was manufactured by A. O. Smith and/or Century which are the same. You can replace your old motor with a new motor from any manufacturer as long as it has the same total horsepower and mounting style.

The OEM Hayward-labeled motors are hard to find, but this Century (A.O. Smith) 1.0 HP Model SQS1102R will be a perfect replacement. The labeled horsepower (1.0) is the same as your old 1.5HP-labeled motor due to the service factor on it (see this article Is a 1.0HP Motor the Same as a 1.5HP Motor? for a better explanation).

Another option would be to get this variable-speed EVQ165 motor. A variable-speed motor can save you quite a bit on your electric bill over the life of the motor.

Whichever option you choose, be sure to get a new motor shaft seal to ensure a long-lasting, leak-free installation. The other parts for your Hayward MaxFlo II pump are located here.

2 Likes

Hi rich,

Is this model compatible with the Hayward SP2710Z2M?

Century (A.O. Smith) 1.5 HP Up Rate Motor, Square Flange 56Y Frame, Single Speed - Model B2854V1, B2854

I noticed this model matches the 48Y frame just did not see if the SF was 1.10?

Your original motor was 2-speed, so, if you want to go with a single-speed motor the USQ1152 would be a better option. Your original motor has a 48 frame which is a little smaller than a 56 frame, so the single-speed USQ1152 or the 2-speed SQS1102R would be a better fit.