Do submerged pool lights with water inside the sealed fixture pose a threat to swimmers?

I noticed today at work that one of the submerged lighting fixtures in our 63,000 gallon pool has water inside of it. The pool is not open for the season yet, so there are no swimmers going in and out of it, but we also don’t currently have what we need to replace the fixture’s seal. The water is a little below halfway and does not reach the internal lighting socket. If the water does come in contact with the electrical components of the fixture, what safety issues can become of it? Would it just trip the breaker or can this pose a threat to swimmers in anyway (i.e. Getting shocked in pool or while when grabbing the  metal ladder to get out)?

Hello Tom - Our opinion is that there is always the potential for risk when there is water in the light fixture. If the light is properly bonded and on a GFCI, there is very little chance for electrical shock. However, I would drain those lights and replace the gaskets before people start using the pool.