Brand New and need advise on above ground or semi-inground pool

Hello everyone, never owned a pool before. Just before COVID I sold my 32 ft boat that we owned for 13 years and now have a big decision to make before the Spring 2024 season: Get another boat or get an above or semi- ground pool for our backyard in Nassau County, NY. I am leaning more for the pool as we can enjoy it with our entire family & friends (our kids are grown). I also want to extend the season by getting a heating system installed (heater/heat pump)…before I do all this I have to prep the landscape some and have electric run to the area. Its not a big yard at all so its not a monumental tasking.
ANY and ALL help and opinions will be truly appreciated…thank you in Advance !!!

Hi Sundancer and welcome!

Of course, we think a new pool would be great, but we are probably a little biased. :grin: We have dozens of articles to get you started whether you are building it yourself or hire a contractor to build it.

The size and style of your backyard oasis are only limited by your imagination - and the amount of space you have. This blog of ours and this article give you a few of the things you will need to consider when choosing a pool (steel/aluminum/resin/extruded aluminum) and the benefits of the different materials.

Get an appropriately sized pool heater to extend your pool season. Gas or propane pool heaters tend to have higher BTU outputs and work better in cooler temperatures than heat pumps do, but not everyone has the luxury of choosing gas/propane over electric.

A well-planned backyard pool will give you and your family years and years of enjoyment, relaxation, and memories. Please feel free to post any other questions you may have. We are happy to help!

1 Like

Thank you for your response back and I have already begun to read many of the articles here that have so much variety. Despite being very DIY person with past success,I think that hiring a contractor to do this might be the right move as it looks like a slight mistake can cripple your vision for enjoyment and relaxation. I am somewhat lost but this site is perfect. I just need to find a delaer here in Nassau County, NY that is trustworthy and patient.

It sounds like you are headed in the right direction! I personally like (and recommend) using Yelp or Google to find local companies or contractors to do work. The reviews tend to be honest ones from actual customers. Chances are that a highly-rated dealer will be trustworthy and patient.